Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] san attached

2005-05-10 12:56:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] san attached
From: bluejay AT fujigreenwood DOT com (Adametz, Bluejay)
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 12:56:20 -0400
> How many folks out there are using san attached solutions
> using Windows
> based master and media servers?  I'm starting to look into this and
> would love to get the heads-up on the various pot-holes in the road.

I'm running a UNIX master server with tape drives SAN-shared amongst about
17 Windows and UNIX servers.

The biggest thing to watch out for is things running that like to go out and
put it's fingers all over any tape drives it can see. Various management
agents and Window Removable Storage Manager are common examples. If someone
sticks a server on your SAN running something like this you'll have no end
of flakey, intermittent problems. Don't ask how I know.

                                                - Bluejay Adametz

You can never tell which way the train went by looking at the track.