Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO2 stuck tape

2005-05-04 09:14:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO2 stuck tape
From: dlogcher AT MIT DOT EDU (Dan Logcher)
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 09:14:54 -0400
Paul Keating wrote:
> Anyone had any issues?
>
> back when I was using DLT7000 drives, we had the Dude from Quantum in
> every couple of weeks to extract a stuck tape, or reset a "swallowed
> leader".
>
> I've been using these LTO2 drives since July for testing, and since
> November in production, and for the first time, a drive went down and
> when I "upped" the drive in the GUI, it went back down.....there's a
> tape in the drive....can't reset the drive, powercycling the drive does
> nothing...the drive is not responding.....(SAN attached to two different
> servers....same message on both)
>

> Any trick for freeing the tape other than calling STK?

Paul,
Powercycling the drive has worked most of the time.  If there
are red lights on the front of the drive, you need to call in
to STK to have them remove and possible replace the drive.

Once I had a tape snap the leader spindle off with 1/4 the tape
in the drive.  It shredded the tape completely.  I've had a few
other tapes almost snap, and had to be removed by STK.  I did not
return the tapes to use.

--
Dan