Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Advanced Reporter

2005-04-29 16:12:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Advanced Reporter
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:12:30 -0500
On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 02:00:38PM -0500, David Rock wrote:
> Bocada is a very good reporting package, but that is mostly all it
> does. It also does it by pretending it's a media server. we didn't
> care for that idea very much.

I had to spend 2 or 3 hours with Bocada tech support trying to get their
fat client installed on my standard Windows desktop.  At that point,
they were pretty much killed in our evaluation.  There's no way I'm
turning my management on Bocada's tech support to get the client
installed when Aptare supports a standard browser.

We also *hated* Bocada's attempt to manipulate all the NetBackup error
numbers by mapping them into a standard set. I understood what they were
trying to do by supporting multiple backup packages, and it might make
sense if you're running 2 or 3 backup packages, but if you're a
NetBackup-only shop, this "feature" alone will drive you nuts.

Bocada did do a nicer job of displaying status results by mount point,
but Aptare added that feature and made it a no-brainer.

I've yet to hear anybody complain about Aptare on this list.  Given how
much we complain about everything else, that ought to tell you
something.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org