Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to use the scratch pool

2005-04-28 12:00:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to use the scratch pool
From: pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:00:52 -0400

> Is this true?
>
> If we begin placing all unassigned media into the scratch pool
> the backups will pull tapes from the scratch pool an assign
> them to their
> respective volume pools.  And then return them to scratch
> when they expire.

Exactly.

As the previous poster said, though I haven't confirmed, this will only
return them to scratch if they were originally pulled from scratch, so
you may have to manually move unassigned tapes to the scratch pool a few
times as tapes expire.

> One other concern is that we have different volume pools
> defined that are
> associated with retention periods.  This way we do not mix
> retentions on to
> any single tape.  If we begin using the scratch pool will
> this become an
> issue.  If we begin to mix the weekly and monthly backups
> then we will not
> get our weekly's back for a full year instead of 8 weeks.

If you go into Master Server Properties, in the GUI, and select "Media",
there's an option there called "allow multiple retentions per media". By
default Netbackup will not mix retentions on media, unless you select
that option.

I'm sure it just creates an entry in bp.conf or vm.conf, but I don't
know what it is off the top of my head.

Paul