Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to use the scratch pool

2005-04-28 11:06:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to use the scratch pool
From: scottd AT HanoverDirect DOT com (Deiter Scott)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:06:30 -0400
Is this true?

If we begin placing all unassigned media into the scratch pool
the backups will pull tapes from the scratch pool an assign them to their
respective volume pools.  And then return them to scratch when they expire.

One other concern is that we have different volume pools defined that are
associated with retention periods.  This way we do not mix retentions on to
any single tape.  If we begin using the scratch pool will this become an
issue.  If we begin to mix the weekly and monthly backups then we will not
get our weekly's back for a full year instead of 8 weeks.

>From    Scott Deiter
        Hanover Direct, Inc.
        Tech services
        (717) 633-3298