Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FW: Using a Catalog tape

2005-04-19 19:30:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FW: Using a Catalog tape
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman (home))
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:30:50 -0500
Christopher-

See previous responses - Darren and Kristopher are both right :-)

"bplabel" is necessary to overwrite the special catalog-format header
that NetBackup originally wrote to this tape.  If a normal backup
selects an unassigned media but then discovers a catalog header, the
tape will not be used and it will be frozen to prevent further use.
("bpmedia -unfreeze" is the command to rectify this situation)

"vmquery -deassignbyid" is ALSO necessary in order to clear the
appropriate fields of the NetBackup databases, thereby allowing this
tape to be used for a non-catalog backup.

But the real reason I felt compelled to respond:

PLEASE NOTE that both of these commands are not to be used lightly!
If run accidentally or carelessly on the wrong tape, data loss or
database corruption is a potential result!

HTH
rob