Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk storage staging unit groups, anyone?

2005-04-14 21:15:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk storage staging unit groups, anyone?
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:15:13 -0500
On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 04:54:57PM -0700, Tim Berger wrote:
> I am curious about the behavior of disk storage staging unit groups
> with respect to when a storage unit is chosen and when staging space
> is freed up.
>
> I am interested in setting up a staging group consisting of several
> disk staging storage units, but I don't want space freed up if there
> is still space free on storage units in the group.
>
> Humm.  Is anyone out there doing this?
>
> I suspect that I'm out of luck.  The docs state that the "first
> available" storage unit is selected, which probably means that a full
> but inactive disk staging storage unit will be chosen.
>
> I suppose an alternative to this would be making really big staging
> storage units with lvm or some such; or take more care when assigning
> clients to policies and policies to staging storage units.

We've got the master/media server with a 1TB DSSU and one of the media
servers with a 1TB DSSU.  I've got another TB waiting for another media
server to get vxfs licensed.

We've been trying to be careful as to what uses the DSSU and what
doesn't.  So far, we've been focusing mostly on incrementals and slow,
small fulls.  Our larger systems typically have the ability to drive
tapes drives fairly well we don't bother staging them.

We've had issues with 500GB fulls going to the DSSU and then suffering
when NBU had problems writing it to tape.  It was a good experiment but
not something I want to do regularly.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org