Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Is bpverify good enough to test images on media?

2005-04-07 00:27:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Is bpverify good enough to test images on media?
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman (home))
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 23:27:36 -0500
Michael-

I would actually disagree with Veritas support on this one, I think
they got it backwards. :-/

Duplication is a pretty good way to validate that you've got a good
backup tape, but a bpverify IS the more thorough choice.  There are
some rare situations (specific hardware misconfiguration at the tape
driver level) where an image can be duplicated whereas the bpverify and
restore operations fail.  I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a
situation where a bpverify worked for an image but the restore did not.

If you care about the details as to why, read on...  (sorry, I'm
feeling wordy tonight :-)

Suppose you have a NetBackup tape with two non-multiplexed images
written on it.
As far as the true contents of this tape (as displayed by the "tcopy"
command for example), this example NetBackup tape actually has the
following pieces of data written on it, in this order:

(file 1) the NBU media header
(file 2) an NBU backup header for image #1
(file 3) the tar file that is the actual data of image#1
(file 4) an NBU backup header for image #2
(file 5) the tar file that is the actual data of image#2
EOT

If image#2 is being DUPLICATED, NetBackup does the following:
   1-mounts the tape
   2-checks the media header
   3-positions to file 4
   4-checks the backup header
   5-positions to file 5
   6-reads from file 5 until an End Of File character is reached,
blindly duplicating each block of data
   7-cleans up

But if image#2 is being VERIFIED, the above steps only apply until you
reach step 6.

Instead of blindly reading blocks out of file 5, the bpverify process
is going a bit deeper.  It does the equivalent of a "tar tf" operation
against the tar data that makes up file5 while comparing that
information with what is stored in the NBU catalog.

So bpverify is scanning the tar file's table of contents, instead of
just blindly reading and writing each block like duplication does.

HTH
rob