Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Command line status

2005-04-04 14:32:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Command line status
From: errinlarsen AT hmmausa DOT com (Larsen, Errin M HMMA/IT)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:32:24 -0500
<<SNIP>>

> bpgetconfig -M clientnamee
>
> Also, see the -x option to only show things that are
> not at the default.
>
> --- "Larsen, Errin M HMMA/IT"
> <errinlarsen AT hmmausa DOT com> wrote:
> > Hi NetBackup-ers,
> >
> >   I am looking for the command-line equivalent of
> > clicking on a client
> > in the "NetBackup Management > Host Properties >
> > Clients" GUI which is
> > in the Java GUI.  This action seems to run out to
> > the client, make a
> > quick handshake status-check, and then reports the
> > OS, Host Type, Client
> > version, etcetera information to the GUI.  Can I get
> > the exact same
> > action to happen from the command line?
> >
> > --Errin

<<SNIP>>

Thanks for the help, folks.  I've got one follow up question:

When I click on a host in the GUI, as described above, and (for whatever
reason) the host doesn't respond, I get a nice, short error message:
"network connection timed out (status 41)".  However, when I use
bpgetconfig on the command-line, I get this message (when attempting to
contact the very same host) : "invalid error number".  That's it.  Not
very informative, huh?

Here is the root of my problem.  Every so often, following a pattern I
am yet to discover, I will get one of my clients' backups to fail with a
nice "(54) Timed out connecting to client" error.  I have found that
whenever this happens, I will also get the above "network connection
timed out" error, as explained above.  Now, what I want to do is write a
script that will run every minute or so, testing for this 54 or 41
error.  Then I can get a more accurate view of when the client lost
connectivity, and when it starts up again.

I hope that makes sense.

So really, I'm looking for something I can do on the command-line that
will tell me "yes" or "no" as to whether I've got connectivity to my
client.

Any ideas?

--Errin