Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] assistance setting up remote ndmp on version 5.1 (windows)

2005-04-04 00:35:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] assistance setting up remote ndmp on version 5.1 (windows)
From: brounb AT adi-limited DOT com (Broun, Bevan)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 04:35:44 +0000
Hi All

I need assistance setting up remote ndmp on nbu 5.1. Here is the detail.

Veritas nbu server 5.1mp2 on windows 2k. A small tape library is attached to the
master server (there is no other servers to worry about). A NDMP license
has been added to the server.

Im trying to backup a NetApp filer to the tape library on the server.
I have run the "set_ndmp_attr -auth" command and "set_ndmp_attr -verify"
shows that the backup server can access the netapp:

    G:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>set_ndmp_attr -verify
    gisvof-diamond0-e5b.gi
    .adi-limited.com
    Connecting to host "gisvof-diamond0-e5b.gi.adi-limited.com" as user
    "root"...
    Waiting for connect notification message...
    Opening session--attempting with NDMP protocol version 4...
    Opening session--successful with NDMP protocol version 4
      host supports MD5 authentication
    Getting MD5 challenge from host...
    Logging in using MD5 method...
    Host info is:
      host name "gisvof-diamond0"
      os type "NetApp"
      os version "NetApp Release 7.0"
      host id "0101166033"
    Login was successful
    Host supports LOCAL backup/restore
    Host supports 3-way backup/restore

    G:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>set_ndmp_attr -list
    Record Type: Authentication
    NDMP Server: gisvof-diamond0-e5b.gi.adi-limited.com
    Username   : root
    Password   : <registered>

My problem is setting up the library and drive to be used by NDMP. I cant
see how to do this. The library has been detected and added by the wizard.

Questions:
Do I treat the master server as an NDMP host? Ie, If I use the gui and
select the robot, right click and "change", should I select "robot is
controlled by a ndmp host" and give the name of the master server?

If this is true do I need to do "set_ndmp_attr -robot NBUHOST ..."?

Thanks

BB