Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup Catalog offsite

2005-04-01 08:22:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup Catalog offsite
From: pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:22:20 -0500

At "other" sites I've worked at, we've continuously used the same two
labels, and rotated the tapes.
This was with DLT7000 tpaes, that have the labels you can slide in and
back out.....
Every day, our tape management people would pull one of the catalog
tapes, remove the label and put the label on a new tape, then put the
new tape in the library....

Here we are using Vault to duplicate the catalog and all of our regular
backups are written onsite and offsite simultaneously.....would be a
nice feature if Netbackup could do inline-copy with the catalog too.

> Are the catalog tapes that vital for offsite backups. Is it
> possible to do
> disaster recovery of the master server without the catalog
> tape by using
> bpimport?

What's your SLA for a DR? a couple months?
A single tape usually takes in the order of HOURS to import....dunno
about you, but we've got hundreds and hundreds of LTO2 tapes....without
the catalog tape, you'd have to import every one into a newly built
system to "create" a new catalog.

Paul