Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup Audit script...

2005-03-30 13:07:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup Audit script...
From: Tim Berger <tim.berger AT gmail DOT com> (Tim Berger)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:07:37 -0800
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:14:25 -0500, Paul Keating
<pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca> wrote:

> [...]

How come they're not demanding md5sum discrepancy reports? ;-)

What auditors demand is highly dependent on who comes in and how
competent they are.  They ought to be following published standards
like COBIT that define required sample frequencies and such.  If no
standard is followed, the sky is the limit and auditing demands become
completely arbitrary.

If you can demonstrate that your backup system is functional, that you
perform restores on a frequent basis, and keep logs of all restores
and their status that ought to be good enough.

You may also need to keep the backup logs around, and keep a log
showing that you review them on a regular basis.

It's unfortunate that we need to build our own reporting system or buy
something to get useful reporting.