Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Maximum mounts for an LTO-1 tape

2005-03-24 18:16:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Maximum mounts for an LTO-1 tape
From: mark_eisenhardt AT stoneybrookfl DOT com (Mark Eisenhardt)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:16:37 -0500
I set mine to 120 for business critical data (production) and then move
the tapes to development pools which are set to 360 mounts.
Personally these numbers are still probably a little low but depending
on your rotation schedules and also if the backup speed to the tape
drives is not shoe shining which will be a factor on media integrity as
well as the drive life you should be fine.

Another thing is to monitor which tapes have read/write failures and
which drives they occur in.
This allows me to either remove a problem tape or have a drive replaced.
HTH,
Mark Eisenhardt