Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] status 89 out of the blue

2005-03-23 10:36:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] status 89 out of the blue
From: Bill_Jorgensen AT csgsystems DOT com (Jorgensen, Bill)
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:36:37 -0700
Dave:

As I read your value for shmmax it seems to be 16MB of shared memory. If
you are running a media manager on the same server as an Oracle database
or two this will most likely not be enough. This may also be the case on
the master when it comes to streaming data. If these are Sun servers Sun
recommends not exceeding the 25% mark when it comes to allocating shared
memory on the system. (If you have 4GB of physical try not to go over
1GB of shared memory.)

Take 1048576 (1MB) x # (number of megs) of shared memory you want. Do
not forget to bump up the number of semaphores. Not increasing the
semaphores can/will limit how many tape drives that can be accessed
simultaneously. It can mess with any multiplexing you are trying to do.

**----- determine shared memory segment size -----**
data buffer size x number of buffers
number of buffers = multiplex setting on the storage unit x number of
drives

root[prod-backup:/export/openv/netbackup/db/config]# ls
.Grpid                cat_format.cfg        user_retention
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS   shm/                  user_retention.bak
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS     storage_units         x.FIX_LENGTH_BLOCKS
behavior              sync
root[prod-backup:/export/openv/netbackup/db/config]# cat *BUFFERS
32
131072

As a result this is what we have configured:
root[prod-backup:/]# prtdiag -v | head
System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u Sun Enterprise 450 (4 X
UltraSPARC-II 400MHz)
System clock frequency: 100 MHz
Memory size: 4096 Megabytes

root[prod-backup:/]# sysdef -i | grep -i memory
* IPC Shared Memory
1073741824      max shared memory segment size (SHMMAX)

If I have done MY math right we have a gig defined. The basic formula
above has helped us I hope it will do the same for you.

Good luck,

Bill

     Bill Jorgensen
     CSG Systems, Inc.