Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restoring a tape from another master.

2005-03-14 06:02:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restoring a tape from another master.
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:02:17 +0000
Daniel Lupton wrote:

>Hi Louis,
>
>We currently run a this type of process monthly to import the tapes from
>out production Master to our test Master server. All that is required is to
>import the tapes (there are 2 phases to this and is described in the
>administration guide) and it works fine.
>
>Regards,
>Daniel Lupton
>|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>|  Daniel Lupton | Enterprise Systems and Security Administrator | Tabcorp |
>|      Technical Services - Star City | Email: LuptonD AT starcity.com DOT au
>|                       Ext: 7651 | Phone: 9657 7651                       |
>|              80 Pyrmont Street, Pyrmont, NSW 2009, Australia             |
>|                            Star City | Tabcorp                           |
>|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>

>             Louis Francoeur
>             <louisf AT ca.ibm DOT co
>
>             m>                                                         To
>             Sent by:                  <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
> edu>
>             veritas-bu-admin@                                          cc
>             mailman.eng.aubur
>             n.edu                                                 Subject
>                                       [Veritas-bu] Restoring a tape from
>                                       another master.
>             11/03/2005 06:04
>             AM
>

>Hi!
>
>Any tried to restore a tape from another master?
>I know i will have to read the tape to add it to the catalog but is there
>other steps to do?
>
>We want to do some type of DR and want to know how to restore a tape that
>was created somewhere else.
>
>Thanks
>Louis Francoeur
>Unix system administrator

>This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed
>and is not intended to be relied upon by any other person. Accordingly,
>Star City disclaims all responsibility and accepts no liability (including
>in negligence) for the consequences for any other person acting, or
>refraining from acting, on such information prior to the receipt by those
>persons of subsequent written confirmation.
>
>If you have received this document in error, please notify our Helpdesk
>immediately by telephone on 61 2 9657 9797. Please also destroy and delete
>the document from your computer.
>
>Copyright Star City Pty Ltd. Any form of reproduction, dissemination,
>copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this
>document and its contents is strictly prohibited.

I do something similar for a Disaster recovery process but have taken it
a step further. As this import process can take a long time ( was taking
me 14 hours to import tapes in a DR test ) i decided to ftp the
catalogue over to the DR site daily from production site.

As the backup master servers are the same name ( which is key to the
next process ) in the event of a DR all i do is take the tapes over,
then import the production site catalogue over the DR site backup
server. Have to do a couple of tweaks and then netbackup knows whats on
each tape so you can restore.

This cut the 14 hours of tapes reads down to about 30 mins of admin
work. Key in a DR scenario.

Food for thought

Dave