Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] inconsistent tape size reporting

2005-03-03 09:59:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] inconsistent tape size reporting
From: chris AT fil.ion.ucl.ac DOT uk (Chris Freemantle)
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:59:25 +0000
In Netbackup 5.1 on Windows using an LTO-1 library, I am getting
inconsistent reports about how much data is on tapes.

An example:

I have a tape that the Media List report shows as containing about 74Gb.

Summing the sizes in the Images on Media report for the tape gives 24 Gb

Looking at the Media Written report shows 10Gb
(I made sure the report was from before the fist allocation date in
the Images on Media report).

Am I going mad, misunderstanding the reports, or are the reports wrong?

The tape in question is an LTO-1. I know that I'm not using the tapes
efficiently because some of the machines I backup have slow transfer
rates (under investigation).

thanks for any insight.

--
---

REMEMBER - the safety of your data is your responsibility
If it's important to you - ** MAKE A COPY ** or 2 or 3 or 4 or ........

There is only one certainty about storage systems - they *will* fail !

Chris Freemantle
Data Manager
Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience

Tel. +44 (0)20 7833 7472 reception
Tel. +44 (0)20 7833 7496 direct
Fax  +44 (0)20 7813 1420

Home Page:  http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk