Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SUMMARY: Netbackup for Lotus Notes agent

2005-02-15 10:20:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SUMMARY: Netbackup for Lotus Notes agent
From: rfang AT coke.umuc DOT edu (Rongsheng Fang)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:20:53 -0500
Thanks to those who replied: Dmitri Smirnov, Mike L. Varney and Blayne
Puklich. My question was:

> Currently the way we back up the Lotus Notes databases is we back up all
> those database files (no fancy stuff here). The funky thing about Lotus
> Notes is it constantly (at least daily) updates the timestamp of all the
> database files even if some of the databases have never been changed.
> That means we cannot do incremental backups.
>
> So we are looking into the Netbackup agent for Lotus Notes. My question
> is: will the Lotus Notes agent solve our problem? Is the the agent smart
> enough to just backup the delta when doing incremental backups?

The answer is YES. NetBackup for Lotus Notes agent can be used to solve
this kind of problem. I have got an eval key from Veritas and will try it
out. Here are the replies:

Dmitri Smirnov:

Works for us. Full backup for Lotus more then 100GB, Inc backup ~ 5GB

Mike L. Varney:

What you'll want to do is instead of "incrementals", is use the
transaction log backup features of the agent. You can then to neat
things like point-in-time Notes DB restores.

It's been a while, but I believe if you try to do incrementals, it'll
still work the same way enev with the agent - - via time stamp.  The
benefit of the agent either way is that the Notes DB can be reliably
backed up if it's actively open by the server or an end user.

Blayne Puklich:

The client site I'm currently at has been using the NBU Lotus Notes
client exactly like you're proposing, and it works like a shot.  It
supports differential incremental backups like you'd think.

Thanks,

Rongsheng