Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB 4.5, VCS nodes, and Oracle BLIBs

2005-02-07 13:23:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB 4.5, VCS nodes, and Oracle BLIBs
From: David Magda <dmagda+vertbu AT ee.ryerson DOT ca> (David Magda)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:23:09 -0500
On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:03:39AM -0800, Nardello, John wrote:
> Use the virtual hostname attached to that database for the client
> name in the backups. That way the backup will always hit the server
> where the database is located, and you don't have to manually
> change the client list every time.

Further follow-up after some more digging. It seems our use of the
CLIENT_NAME in bp.conf may be part of the issue. An aritlce on
Veritas' NNTP server from 2001:

    I don't believe you have to use the CLIENT_NAME variable at all.
    We back up several servers here that are both stand alone and
    part of a cluster, using both the node names and cluster aliases
    that work just fine.  As long as we don't use the CLIENT_NAME
    variable in the bp.conf we don't have a problem.  Give it a shot.

http://news.support.veritas.com/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=article&group=veritas.netbackup.datacenter.english&item=3174

I'll try it out on some of our secondary servers and let the list
know how it goes.