Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] date stamp on files affecting backups

2005-02-04 12:47:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] date stamp on files affecting backups
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:47:47 -0800 (PST)
> Hello,
>
>             I am running into problems backing up a unix system to a
> Windows2000 netbackup server.  I am getting an error "cannot reset time
> stamp on /etc/mnttab".

That just means that it's trying to back up the file, then after reading
reset the time stamp.

On Solaris 8 and later systems, /etc/mnttab isn't a plain file, it's a
pseudo file mounted from the kernel.  You can't change the timestamp.

Probably the best solution is simply to not back that file up (exclude
it).  I've actually seen problems with Solaris 8 systems that had a
"real" /etc/mnttab file.  (Caused problems with mounting and logging).