Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backing up LARGE oracle databases (looking for s ugge stions)

2005-01-31 10:46:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backing up LARGE oracle databases (looking for s ugge stions)
From: MDobbertien AT tribune DOT com (Dobbertien, Matthew)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:46:30 -0600
We have run multiple tests on the system.  Writing the backup to
/dev/null results in over 100 MB/s throughput, but running the same jobs
over the network maxes out at 60 MB/s regardless of number of streams or
tape drives or disk on the back end (we generally write to virtual tape,
which has a throughput of over 150 MB/s).  We do see a maximum
throughput of 40 MB/s per stream--I believe this is just the overhead
from bpbkar.  The disks we are reading from are capable of pushing data
much faster than that (backend disks are on a clarion cx600).  Even
running three backup streams from the same disk results in over 100 MB/s
throughput.

Matthew Dobbertien
Sr. Systems Analyst
Chicago Tribune