Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Issues Upgrading 4.5 FP7 to NBU 5.1 for Large Environments

2005-01-29 19:20:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Issues Upgrading 4.5 FP7 to NBU 5.1 for Large Environments
From: briandiven AT northwesternmutual DOT com (briandiven AT northwesternmutual DOT com)
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:20:09 -0600
TechNote 274544 provides ideas to reduce the burden on the NBU 5.1 software in
large environments.  Since our upgrade 9 weeks ago, we have been bouncing NBU
almost daily due to hung backups and we are a large 24x7 environment and have
seen limited improvements after 9 weeks of an open case with Veritas - and then
seeing this TechNote.  I find it ironic that the re-branding of 5.1 to
Enterprise Server and a technote that says not to stress BPSCHED in Enterprise
Server environments can occur, so I'd like to see if I'm alone here.

We have had several issues upgrading to NBU 5.1 MP1 and now MP2 where we are
unable to submit many backups (queued or active) at once.  The recent TechNote
274544 fits our account perfectly and I am wondering if any other large NBU
shops are experiencing similar issues.  I have a hard time believing this
TechNote was generated just because of us.  Veritas shows no desire to address
this other than to wait until release 6.x and I could use some friends that
will either state that they have an issue or help me push a fix through.

Veritas backline also stated that they won't support us backing off of 5.1 MP1
to 4.5 FP7 where we had a stable environment.  They test MP2 to MP1 uninstalls,
but when you upgrade from release 4 to release 5, they don't test this and
there are some inherent undocumented catalog changes that could mess us up and
not be able to recover a 5.1 backup to a 4.5 restore.  They only want to fix
and go forward.  We had many MP2 binaries prior to them being released and then
moved to MP2 and we still can't get through a night if we submit all of our
backups.

We have exercised every recommendation in this technote and remain unsuccessful.

I need some of my friends to contact me with similar issues to get this fixed
if we are to fix and go forward.  We need to push Veritas on this issue as a
group of large Enterprise Server companies.

Brian