Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backing up LARGE oracle databases (looking for suggestions)

2005-01-28 10:53:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backing up LARGE oracle databases (looking for suggestions)
From: MDobbertien AT tribune DOT com (Dobbertien, Matthew)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:53:51 -0600
There are some limitations with trunking the GigE connections, since these are
sun clusters (everything I have read says that sun trunking is not supported on
a sun cluster).  We are going to do some testing using multiple interfaces and
multiple policies.  Right now I would be satisfied to saturate a GigE
connection on the backup server.  But in the end, 120 MB/s still isn't very
fast.  That's about 7 GB/M or 400 GB/Hour.  O.k., that's pretty fast, but when
you are talking about 2 to 4 TB of data, that's still 5-8 hours of backup.  If
this is to be done daily on a system that requires 24/7 availability, how do
you make the timeframe reasonable?

Matthew Dobbertien
Sr. Systems Analyst
Chicago Tribune