Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Virtual Tape Library / Drives

2005-01-27 23:35:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Virtual Tape Library / Drives
From: kris.williams AT hp DOT com (Williams, Kristopher L)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:35:58 -0600
Paul,

I read about what I think you mean by "out of the back end duplication".
If I have it right, with certain subsystems you can run FC from the disk
straight to the tape library. The VTL is smart enough to know how to
duplicate images to the tapes. I guess the only thing I don't understand
is where NetBackup comes into play with that piece. Does NetBackup
somehow control the duplication process even though the data isn't going
through a media server? What I would want to avoid is using some other
software program to managed the duplication from the VTL to live tape
library.

As for the separate connection to the VTL, in our Windows environment we
currently have two FC cards in each SAN attached box. We have two disk
SAN's and connect one card to each for failover (Securepath). Currently
we just allocate tape devices through these two cards. For Windows, we
do not have a separate SAN for just tape. I know this would probably be
the best bet, but with the limited number of PCI card slots in most
newer servers, using 3 for FC cards just isn't possible.

I thought of one more question. Has anyone used VTL with NT 4.0? I know
it's a dieing breed, but not everyone is up to Win2k just yet.

Thanks,

Kris