Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup_exit_notify script / snmptraps...

2005-01-26 15:24:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup_exit_notify script / snmptraps...
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:24:57 -0600
On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:07:10PM -0500, Jeff McCombs wrote:
>     Some of the backups we do (namely oracle) generate quite a few calls to
> the script, and I'd like to be able to figure out which specific backup is
> calling it. The same would go for clients that don't use "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES"
> as the 'stuff to backup'.
>
>     What I'm trying to do, is tie this to a snmp-trap and generate traps
> with backup status and tie it all into Nagios (yea, there are other ways to
> do this, but snmp sounded like fun when I started this project..)

The bottom line is that you're in for a lot of development work because
the hooks just aren't there yet.  It's not like customers haven't asked
but it hasn't made it to the top of the development priority list.

We took what is probably the easier way out - purchase Aptare's
StorageConsole product.  It answers the really basic question of whether
your backups were successful or not (by mount point even) and lets you
see at a glance what the health of your backups is.  It does a lot more
than that too.  It's commercial but we've found it extremely worthwhile.

        .../Ed

Disclaimer:  I'm just another customer.  I don't even have an Aptare
T-Shirt :-)

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org