Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk Staging & Storage Unit Groups

2005-01-25 10:58:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk Staging & Storage Unit Groups
From: pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:58:30 -0500
FWIW, in case you haven't discovered this, it is a good idea to have
FULLs and INCREMEMENTALS go to different DSUs.

If NB thinks there is insufficient space on a DSU, it will delete the
two oldest images that have been purged to tape, in order to make room
for the next backup.

However, if the two oldest images on the DSU are 100 Meg incrementals,
and the backup that is queueing is a 50 gig FULL, you're gonna end up
with the full DSU, and a status 84.

What I've been doing lately, is letting the Friday night FULL run, then
Monday morning, I verify that it is flushed to tape....once on tape, I
promote the tape copy to Primary, and expire the DSU image......that
cleans up the DSU and leaves enough free space to run till the following
Monday.

Currently this is a work around untill our SAN infrastructure is in
place in Q3, as we don't want to buy additional disk arrays now, with
the SAN in the pipe.

Paul