Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup retention Standards?

2005-01-12 09:48:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup retention Standards?
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:48:53 +0000
Hindle, Greg wrote:

> Hello,
> I am in the process of re-evaluating our companies backup retention
> policies. I wanted to get feedback from others who use Netbackup as to
> what they use in their own environments. What I need to know is how
> frequently you backup certain files and how long do you keep them
> before expiring those backups?  We have mixture of applications and
> platforms here so any insight to what your setup is would be great. In
> particular SQL, ORACLE, EXCHANGE, Financial Applications, user data,
> Peoplesoft applications, Windows servers, Unix servers etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Greg

> privileged and/or confidential intended solely for the exclusive use
> of the individual addressee. If you are not the intended addressee you
> are hereby notified that any retention, disclosure or other use is
> strictly prohibited. If you have received this notification in error,
> please immediately contact the sender and delete the material.

I have various customers and sometimes the requirements differ but i try
and keep a best practice. I mostly deal with solaris so will explain
what i do

I have a policy for OS files, one for application and one for databases
which each contain the same schedule information but different file and
client lists for the application and database policies.

I keep cumulative incremental backups for 1 week and normally leave
those tapes in the jukebox unless they get full ( monitored via a script )
Weekly full backups are removed and stored in a fireproof safe and
retained for 4 weeks in netbackup
Monthly full backups run every 4 weeks and expire in 3 months. Again
removed after running
Quarterly backups are run every 3 months and kept for 1 year. Again
removed after running
Yearly backups are run every year and retained for 5 years. Again
removed after running.

This may be excessive but seems to work quite well.

In addition to above i do the following

Have a log_archive policy which is a user_archive and i run a cron job
on each machine to find log locations of type file only and issue a
bparchive withe the list. These i keep for 7 years or infinity depending
on setup. The logs are archived and so removed after use.

I also have a DR ( disaster recovery ) policy which various from
customer to customer. The latest one i have done is an InlineTapeCopy of
the each schedule. I have this taken offsite daily as its written to a
different tape pool. I retain these for 2 weeks before they return to
site and into the scratch pool.

hope this helps
Thanks