Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How does Netbackup handle Sendmail backup?

2005-01-07 04:04:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How does Netbackup handle Sendmail backup?
From: r.degroot AT dto.tudelft DOT nl (Ruben de Groot)
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 10:04:37 +0100
Paul Greene wrote:
> Is there any special quirks, requirements (i.e. agents, etc, ?),
> difficulties with using Netbackup to back up Sendmail mailboxes running
> on Solaris 9 on Sparc?
>
> We're moving from an MS Exchange mail server to Sendmail, and I'm used
> to needing the optional Exchange agent for mail backup. Just wondering
> if a special agent is needed to keep Sendmail databases and mail folders
> in sync.

Sendmail databases are not an issue. As someone else suggested it's
advisable to stop the sendmail daemon during the backup process. To
minimize downtime use the following procedure:

1) kill sendmail
2) take a snapshot of the device where your mailspool lives (usually
/var or /var/spool) using the solaris fssnap command
3) start sendmail
4) mount the snapshot on some mountpoint
5) backup the mountpoint
6) unmount and kill the snapshot