Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Dedicated NIC for network backups - Resolution

2005-01-06 11:33:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Dedicated NIC for network backups - Resolution
From: Malachi_McCabe AT newport-news DOT com (Malachi_McCabe AT newport-news DOT com)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:33:22 -0500
Thanks, everyone for all the feedback on my issue.  I wound up just adding
a new DNS record.  Now all I have to do is wait for the full backup window,
remove the hosts file entry, remove "Bob" from the policy and replace it
with the new DNS name of "Bob-NB".

One thing still bothers me, though.  Why does NB insist on these client
checks every 10 minutes?  It doesn't make an entry in the log if the client
isn't up on the network - Only if there is a name resolution issue.  Does
anyone know of a way to adjust this setting, and would it be detrimental in
some way to disable it?

>Hello all,
>
>I have a Solaris server (We'll call it Bob) with two NICs, one for
>production/user data, and another one that is solely dedicated to
providing
>a pipe for data backups and restores.  The server is running the NB4.5_FP6
>client, while the Master is running NB5.0_MP3.  I have the client
properties
>identified on the Master so that it is still named Bob, but is pointing to
>the IP address of the second NIC.  Backups and restores run fine, and
>without complaint, as expected, because NB obediently uses the IP address
>gave it.
>
>That being said, here is the issue:  When I check my problem log, I find
>that it is filled with reverse lookup (gethostbyaddr) errors.  It seems
>that, for some reason, NB performs a forward DNS lookup on Bob,
establishes
>the IP address according to DNS, and is then trying to re-verify with
these
>reverse lookups - And it does it twice every ten minutes.  This
verification
>process seems to be completely independent of any backup/restore jobs, so
it
>isn't causing any issues other than filling up my log.
>
>So, is there any way I can keep the client name of Bob in my policy, or am
>going to have to create another DNS entry with a different name for this
>second NIC, and then clone the Bob policy with the new name to make NB
>happy?  Or, is there a way to disable this constant communication check?
>

>Thanks in advance,
>
>      Malachi

# This email and all files transmitted with it are confidential and      #
# intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they   #
# are addressed.                                                         #
# This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and       #
# cleared by NetIQ MailMarshal.                                          #
# System Administrator                                                   #
# postmaster AT spiegel DOT com
#