Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Hung Jobs

2005-01-05 12:20:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Hung Jobs
From: KELCZ AT coj DOT net (Mike Kelczewski)
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:20:38 -0500
--=__Part2202B2F6.1__=

Kris,

Do not know if this applies.  This was in the 5.0 MP4 release notes and
we were told by support it is the fix to a problem we are having with
Windows 2003 servers slowing to a crawl but finally finishing.  We have
yet to test it though.

   When running Windows Open File Backup enabled backups using VSS on
   Windows 2003 clients, performance of the backup is considerably
slower
   compared to when running a Windows Open File Backup enabled backup
using
   VSP or with Windows Open File Backup disabled. Only backup
performance is
   affected and no data loss occurs as a result of using VSS as the
Windows
   Open File Backup snapshot provider."

We also have another problem where backups start but hang after about
200 to 400 MB are written and have to be killed and the client restarted
because of multiple bpbkar32 processes that can't be terminated even
with utilities like pskill.  But most of these we have found are due to
the fact the client version is still at 3.4.

Michael Kelczewski
Senior Application Analyst - Computer Operations
City of Jacksonville
Information Technologies Division
220 E. Bay St., Suite 200
City HAll Annex
Jacksonville, FL  32202
904-630-1079,   Fax 904-630-2764
kelcz AT coj DOT net

--=__Part2202B2F6.1__=

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt Times New Roman">
<DIV>Kris,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Do not know if this applies.&nbsp; This was in the 5.0 MP4 release =
notes and we were told by support it is the fix to a problem we are having =
with Windows 2003 servers slowing to a crawl but finally finishing.&nbsp; =
We have yet to test it though.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"Description: <BR>&nbsp; &nbsp;When running Windows Open File Backup =
enabled backups using VSS on <BR>&nbsp; &nbsp;Windows 2003 clients, =
performance of the backup is considerably slower<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp;compared =
to when running a Windows Open File Backup enabled backup using<BR>&nbsp; =
&nbsp;VSP or with Windows Open File Backup disabled. Only backup performanc=
e is<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp;affected and no data loss occurs as a result of using =
VSS as the Windows<BR>&nbsp; &nbsp;Open File Backup snapshot provider."</DI=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We also have another problem where backups start but hang after about =
200 to 400 MB are&nbsp;written and have to be killed and the client =
restarted because of multiple bpbkar32 processes that can't be terminated =
even with utilities like pskill.&nbsp;&nbsp;But most of these we have =
found are due to the fact the client version is still at 3.4.&nbsp;<BR></DI=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Michael Kelczewski<BR>Senior Application Analyst - Computer Operations=
<BR>City of Jacksonville<BR>Information Technologies Division<BR>220 E. =
Bay St., Suite 200<BR>City HAll Annex<BR>Jacksonville, FL&nbsp; 32202<BR>90=
4-630-1079,&nbsp;&nbsp; Fax 904-630-2764<BR><A href=3D"mailto:kelcz AT coj DOT
net=
">kelcz AT coj DOT net</A></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=__Part2202B2F6.1__=--