Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] duplication vs multiple copies

2004-12-29 18:08:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] duplication vs multiple copies
From: jason.doyle AT aqssys DOT com (Jason Doyle)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:08:04 -0600
I use the session_notify script which executes after a series of backups
finish.  I had to do some tricky stuff so that it does not execute after
a User backup or user archive  (had backup_exit_notify change
session_notify to either start or not start the duplication based on
whether it was a scheduled backup or not).
There is a negative side to this.  Since session_notify calls the
duplication, it does not end until the duplication is done.  While
session_notify runs, it ties up a Netbackup process that prevents other
scheduled backups from starting.  Once the duplication ends and
session_notify exits, as long as the schedule window is not closed, it
will then start the next set of scheduled backups.  This may be a
problem if it takes a long to for duplication to run.  You may be able
to find another way to have session_notify kick off the duplication with
session_notify exiting right away.  In my case I don't want any backups
to start up until the previous duplication is done.

Jason Doyle, Network Support
Microsoft Certified Professional
Information Technology
AQS Technical Services