Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Master merge and rename

2004-12-29 11:09:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Master merge and rename
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:09:20 +0000
Blayne Puklich wrote:

> I have a client that currently has two Solaris 9 NetBackup 4.5 master
> servers that each have a couple of Solaris media servers.  They need
> to upgrade to 5.x on new Sun hardware as well as combine the two
> master servers into one.  To make this even more fun they also need to
> have a different name for the new master server.
>
> What's the best scenario to accomplish this?  I've dug in the archives
> as much as I could to see if this had been discussed before, and I
> can't seem to put together a complete picture of how to do even parts
> of this such as merging two master servers or renaming a master server.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction or outline the rough steps
> to take in order to do this the smart way?
>
> The best scenario I've come up with so far is to upgrade the existing
> servers to 5.x and let them run for a while.  Once we're confident
> that 5.x is working fine we'd merge the two master servers into one on
> the new hardware, renaming at the same time.  This would give us a
> good backout for what appears to be the most difficult part of this,
> if we needed it.  We'd also be able to do a few practice runs before
> we pull the trigger for real.
>
> Should we be bringing in VERITAS professional services for some of
> this? The client does have a couple of days worth of VERITAS' time
> that we could use for the most difficult steps.
>
> ---
> Blayne Puklich             Minneapolis, MN       PGP Key ID: 0xC52CA6C1
> * mailto:blayne at puklich.com
>         I'd explain it to you, but your brain would explode.

I have successfully renamed a netbackup master server running 3.4. I
have steps i could post on how i did this, but it is a bit dodgy.

I then upgraded through 4.5 to 5 after this rename and everything seems
ok now.

I have not merged 2 servers though although i have seen steps on how to
do it.

As suggested if you can do it id start again with an uninstall and
rename and install. As long as your hardware doesnt change you can
always import your media in event of restore, although it does take time
doing this.

Dave