Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpbrm very confused?!

2004-12-28 10:57:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpbrm very confused?!
From: jennifer.hooper AT peregrine DOT com (Jennifer Hooper)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 07:57:16 -0800
If it helps any, we're experiencing very strange similar problems with
Netbackup 5.0 running on Solaris 7.  The clients in particular that we are
having trouble with are Windows 2000 Advanced Cluster running on 8way Compaq
boxes, in a 4 way cluster.  The jobs will kick off, and then hang after
20034kb, or some other similar number, and will stay hung until cancelled.
One, two, or three of the other clusters will complete successfully, or
hang, but these stay hung until manual intervention is accomplished.  When
the job is cancelled, it will restart or cancel, depending on the backup
window.  It generally completes successfully upon retry.

We're thinking now that this is because we're not running the Advanced
Client on these servers, but it's a rather non-issue for us since the data
will be soon located on a SAN and backed up that method.  We've tried
uninstalling/reinstalling the standard client, changing some of the policy
attributes, and all kinds of good stuff... But nothing seems to stop it.  I
was hoping that it would be solved with the upgrade to 5.1 that we are
fixing to install on a new master server.

The other strange thing that we have noticed is that all of a sudden, our
Remote-NDMP jobs started dying with a 219 - The storage unit is not
available.  The drives are configured and present.  I restarted NBU from the
ground up, and relaunched the backup.  I noticed that both the NDMP drives
went into DOWN-TLD.  I brought them both back up, then drive 5 went
DOWN-TLD.  Brought drive 5 back up, drive 6 went DOWN-TLD.  Brought drive 5
back up, they both went DOWN-TLD.  Repeat vicious cycle until job dies with
219 error.  This is a most bizarre problem!!!

Thank god I have a consultant coming in to help today.

Jen