Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Slow Exchange backups

2004-12-23 11:39:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Slow Exchange backups
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:39:24 -0600
--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

* Ungaro, Matt <mjungaro AT capitolindemnity DOT com> [2004-12-23 09:56]:
> Hello All,
>       I am currently using NB 5.1MP1 on Windows Server 2003. I am backing
> up Exchange 2000 post SP3 rollup. We are using a single Information store,
> and I am performing mailbox level backups, not just backing up the info
> store. The Exchange server is running Symantec Antivirus for MS Exchange
> version 8. My question is, I am getting extremely horrible throughput bac=
king
> up my user mailboxes. The backups are running somewhere around 800 to 900
> KB/s. My theory is that Symantec AV is slowing down the process, scanning
> each e-mail as it leaves the system, but I'm not sure on this. At first I=
 was
> just backing up "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\", then I split it up into
> [0-9]*, [a-m]*, and [n-z]*. With each process, it stays at a steady
> 800-900KB/s, so it's not an overall bandwidth issue (This is going Gigabi=
t to
> Gigabit.) Would shutting down SAV before backups and bringing it up
> afterwards improve the performance? As a side note, SAVFMSE sometimes will
> not stop, it will just hang. Thanks in advance for any assistance that ca=
n be
> provided.

Your biggest issue is that Mailbox level backups are SLOW. The process
it goes through to do it _really_ is a poor performer. It has to
essentially read every mail message internally and then send it up the
pipe, so you have a LOT of internal Exchange activity going on. The
antivirus stuff may be impacting it, but it will _never_ be good. It
also doesn't get away from the normal Exchange database backups. For
mailbox level to work properly, you essentially have to back up the data
twice. Unless you have a real good reason for needing mailbox level, I
don't recommend doing it at all.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com