Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Performance test of tape drives

2004-12-14 08:11:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Performance test of tape drives
From: gmackinn AT ford DOT com (MacKinnon, G. R. (Gregory))
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:11:06 -0500
ida3248b AT post.cybercity DOT dk wrote:

>Hello All
>
>I need to test our tape drives outside NBU to se what max throughput is.
>
>I thought there was a thread about this but I can't find it.
>
>I want to eliminate network/disk.
>
>We have a mix of Solaris, AIX, HP and Windows media servers, and we are
>getting Linux media servers before long.
>
>Ideas/suggestions/howtos will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Regards
>Michael
>
>--
>Cybercity Webhosting (http://www.cybercity.dk)

For the *nix machines you can use the time and dd commands. Like so:

time dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rmt/2 bs=256k count=4000

Then multiply # of blocks (4000) by block size (256) which is 1,024,000
and divide by # of seconds.

Can't help much with the Wintel box.

Gregg

Gregg MacKinnon                         Ford Motor Co.
gmackinn AT ford DOT com                        2101 Village Rd.
Technical Computing Section             Rm 1116, MD 1074
(313) 594-3716   pager 7958343          Dearborn Michigan, 48124