Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How the media manager works from master

2004-12-10 09:56:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How the media manager works from master
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:56:01 +0000
Can i just confirm my understanding with people as it has known to be
wrong in the past ;)

I have a master server and two media servers.

I am configuring policies on the master server. Now each media server
has its own storage unit ( its shared to the master also but i think
thats irrelevant ).

master = master1  storageunit = mast1-stor
media = med1      storageunit = med1-stor
media = med2      storageunit = med2-stor

I need all the networked machines ( 20 odd clients ) to go through
master link and onto storage so i set the polciy for that, with
mast1-stor as the storageunit and listed the clients.

Now i am coming to configure 2 database policies which are also the
media servers. So i need med1 ( which is database box1 ) to backup to
its connected devices. Therefore i have set my polciy for database1 to
have storageunit med1-stor and client med1
I have done a third policy for database 2 having med2 as client and to
use storage unit med2-stor.

Now as my master server has med1, and med2 listed as clients or rather
can connect to them it isnt going to try and transfer the files over
network and then to the storage unit is it?

What i want is the policy to kick off on the master server as normal and
then realize that the client its backing up to storageunit med1-stor or
med2-stor is itself a client and thus send its files to its attached
storage.

Does this make sense?

Cheers