Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 4.5 backups hang if media db tape is missing.

2004-12-06 13:42:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 4.5 backups hang if media db tape is missing.
From: jeffm AT nicusa DOT com (Jeff McCombs)
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:42:29 -0500
    Kinda a weird issue, since I don't think most people would experience it
if they knew what they were doing. :) I sent a new guy out to swap tapes a
few weeks ago from our Neo 2000 and he wasn't paying a whole lot of
attention. He managed to pull the catalog tape out of the library and put it
into our offsite rotation.. (ugh).

    Now that's prolly not something y'all can help with, seein as how it's
more of an issue where Ijust need to smack someone. However one thing that I
did notice, is that with the catalog tape being unavailable, backups hang.
Seems that netbackup hangs forever too, and blocks on all new jobs that come
into the system... I didn't catch this for almost 3 weeks, which is kind of
scary if you think about it...  I didn't even get a job failure notice until
I stoped/started the netbackup services...

    Does anyone know of a way to stop this from happening in the future? Can
a timeout or something be set on media requests, and I just don't know where
to look?
--
 ³If you try to fail, and you succeed, what did you just do?²
   Jeff McCombs (jeffm AT nicusa DOT com)                            NIC, Inc.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This E-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, you do not have permission to disclose, copy,
distribute, or open any attachments. If you have received this E-mail in
error, notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this
copy from your system.