Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO Barcode Labels that end in L1 on LTO2 tapes

2004-11-29 21:17:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO Barcode Labels that end in L1 on LTO2 tapes
From: tech2187 AT yahoo DOT com (K Chapman)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:17:04 -0800 (PST)
for my library, it uses the barcode to determine what
type of cartridge is in a slot.  an example:  we had
an lto2 universal cleaning tape.  we had the wrong
labels sent and the library saw the tape as an ibm
lto2 cleaning tape (we dont have ibm lto2 drives so
the tape was useless with that barcode).

i would expect most barcoded libraries to behave the
same, however i cant claim that for sure.

based on what ive seen, the barcode does matter a
great deal.

--- Douglas Ritschel <dritschel62 AT yahoo DOT com> wrote:

> Is there a problem with putting LTO Barcode Labels
> that end in L1 on LTO2 tapes?
>
> I know that SDLT320 tapes have an S on them to
> differentiate them from DLTIV tapes, which keeps the
> library from attempting to mount a DLT IV tape in a
> SDLT320 drive.
>
> Does the L1, on an LTO barcode label have any affect
> on the way the robot or tape drive handles an LTO
> tape? Or, is the L1 or L2 on LTO barcode labels just
> way for you to keep track of which tapes are LTO1
> and
> LTO2 tapes?

=====
aaarrrggghhh!!!!