Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] HI All ! After I backuped Data of Server By LTO Tape. I write garbage data in header segment of LTO Tape

2004-11-29 03:19:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] HI All ! After I backuped Data of Server By LTO Tape. I write garbage data in header segment of LTO Tape
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 00:19:15 -0800 (PST)
> > HI ALL
> > I has important question. After backup data of Unix
> > Server by NBU. and  I also write same tape in  Tape
> > Header segement of LTO Tape by tar
> > and NBU can't read header this Tape because broeken
> > header of Tape from Unix ' Command  of Tar

> have you checked this article?
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/205940.htm
> heres one for a disk stu also...
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/245251.htm

I was interpreting his situation as having overwritten the headers of an
earlier backup with a separate 'tar' and now wanting to retreive
whatever was possible from the tape.

Unfortunately, most devices will not allow reads past the end of the
most recent write.  So even if the old NBU data is on the tape, it won't
be readable by a consumer drive.

Tape recovery houses have equipment that can get around many of the
limitations we would run into when trying the recovery.  If the data is
valuable enough, trying them would be a good idea.