Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Calculating new window with new drives

2004-11-18 07:33:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Calculating new window with new drives
From: scoco AT arl.army DOT mil (Coco, Samuel (Cont, ARL/CISD))
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:33:27 -0500
Boy is that a 'loaded' question !!  :-)

        The through put, and thus the 'window' achieved is dependant
upon much more then just the tape drives.  As you know, the platform and
configuration of your network, master/media server's), applications
running and a plethora of other minor items all contribute.  We are
running on a SUN V440 with FO to the network switch, (most servers are
still on 10/100 lines), and feeding an ADIC silo with 6 LTO2 drives via
FO thru the server since we are not permitted to have the silo seen by
the network.  This configuration, during testing, gave us a thru put of
~38 MB/sec.  Direct connections to the network we saw as much as 94
MB/sec spikes with an average of 63 MB/sec.  Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Samuel J. Coco, STG
Functional Area Manager, ARL
Sr UNIX Administrator