Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Unix backup performance...

2004-11-09 13:05:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Unix backup performance...
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com (ckstehman AT pepco DOT com)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:05:01 -0500
For Solairs, Check your NIC settings, be sure they match the switch ports.
We have Cisco switches set to 100 Full Duplex No AutoNegotiate
If there is a mis-match in our environment, the backups run at 120KB/sec
if set correctly we get at least 6000KB/sec

=============================
Carl Stehman
PHI Services Company
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

             "Marx, Keath"
             <Keath.Marx@anthe
             m.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

             veritas-bu-admin@                                          cc
             mailman.eng.aubur
             n.edu                                                 Subject
                                       [Veritas-bu] Unix backup
                                       performance...
             11/09/2004 10:04
             AM

We just added 3 Solaris8 systems to our backup.  What changes need to be
made to produce reasonable performance?  I am running a test backup now.

The Master is a Quad Windows2000 SP4 running NBU Datacenter 4.5_FP6

The Media servers is a Dual Windows2000 SP4 running NBU Datacenter 4.5_FP6.
It has a Dell PV-132t with 2 Gen 2 LTO Drives in it.  I have all 3 machines
streaming to a single drive.  I am getting ~700 kbs each.

The clients are Sun Solaris8 machines running the NBU 4.5_FP6 client.

We get a higher throughput from our windows clients.  We have *no* files
and
buffers optimizations done and at this point really don't want to go down
that road.  They are backing up via the network.

Thanks

and privileged information or otherwise be protected by law. Any
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any
copies.  PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory
or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal
right by Email communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect
of such communications.