Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Best Option for Hot Backups of Oracle on an AIX enviornment

2004-11-04 11:13:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Best Option for Hot Backups of Oracle on an AIX enviornment
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com (ckstehman AT pepco DOT com)
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 11:13:25 -0500
If you can affort it,  I recommend using the Oracle Agent with RMAN.
We have been doing our backup with this method for several years
now.  It is fast and efficient.  It is smart enough to only back up
what it needs to, and takes less time.

=============================
Carl Stehman
PHI Services Company
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

             Rami Elyas
             <Rami.Elyas@lilyd
             ale.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  "'veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu
             veritas-bu-admin@         '"
             mailman.eng.aubur         <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu>
             n.edu                                                      cc

                                                                   Subject
             11/03/2004 04:40          [Veritas-bu] Best Option for Hot
             PM                        Backups of Oracle on an AIX
                                       enviornment

Hi,
I'm currently running cold backups of our Oracle environment. We will be
moving to hot backups soon and I've been looking at a few options:
   1. Use the Database Agent with NetbackUp
   2. The other is to run a split-mirror and break the mirror during backup
      and then re-sync the mirror when the backup is finished
I've heard mixed reviews regarding the Database Agent, does anyone have any
tips or comments regarding either method???

Thanks

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any
copies.  PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory
or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal
right by Email communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect
of such communications.