Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Solaris 9 hosts.allow question

2004-11-03 23:54:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Solaris 9 hosts.allow question
From: Dwayne.Brzozowski AT mail.va DOT gov (Brzozowski, Dwayne)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 22:54:19 -0600
I did get some answers from Veritas. I didn't think it would be this quick
or detailed, but it all makes sense. Here is what Veritas has said about
hosts.allow entries for Solaris 9.

Because of the built in security on Solaris 9, anything not in hosts.allow
is automatically denied, explaining the need for bpcd, vnetd, and bpjava.
The ALL statement pertains to several media servers/masters. This allows any
NetBackup server to contact/connect to the client. IP's can be used to
ensure only specific NB servers are allowed access. Bpjava, both entries are
to allow the NB java gui to be pulled off of that client. Again, specific
ip's can be used. Vnetd is an acronym, which stands for Veritas Network
Daemon. All three of these processes are specified in the services file, and
specific ports are also defined.

To validate/invalidate this statement by Veritas, I have been running tests
all night with this configuration. The conclusion is:bpcd MUST be in
/etc/hosts.allow on a Solaris 9 NB client. Bpjava-msvc, bpjava-susvc, and
vnetd is not needed in the client hosts.allow. These three processes have
already been defined in the services and inetd.conf files during NB client
install. I ran a backup on a Solaris 9 client and restored back to that
client with only the bpcd entry in the hosts.allow. That was successful.
Also, with only the bpcd entry, I was able to pull the java gui off the
client

-Dwayne

I Sense much NT in you...
NT leads to bluescreen..