Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] restoring from a disk based backup

2004-11-01 20:58:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] restoring from a disk based backup
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 20:58:37 -0500
Paul-

You are correct, it is not possible to "import" a disk image.  But
what you are proposing is absolutely possible, because you're not
really doing an import.

Consider the definition of an import as the reconstruction of the
NetBackup database entries for some piece(s) of backup media.  If the
media in question happens to be a tape, then there are three
databases to reconstruct:  imageDB, volDB, and mediaDB.  If the media
is a disk image, then only the imageDB is relevant.

In your case, you not only have the tar file on disk, you still have
the imageDB entries for that backup image.  That makes the process
trivial, and all that you need to do is...

1. copy the disk image using your external USB hard drive,
2. copy the relevant subdirectory of the imageDB, also using your USB
hard drive.  (e.g. C:\Program
Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\images\<hostname>\<datestamp>\)

Put both of the above items onto your test master server (taking care
to put them in the same places they existed on the production
master...) and you should be able to restore from that backup with no
troubles.

HTH
rob