Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU + NetWare problem

2004-10-27 06:00:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU + NetWare problem
From: hampus.lind AT rps.police DOT se (Hampus Lind)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:00:29 +0200
Hi!

Netware is always a problem... :-)

However we have a very large netware env here and have often problems with
netware and backups.
The thing you said about hanging when unloading is standard procedure.
Almost always occurs. We run netware 6 and netbackup 5.1 and things have got
a litle bit better. But not much.

I dont have any exact solution to your problem, but i would like to give you
some pointer and some info to think about.

1. We se here that SYS volume takes long time to backup. Therefor we have
created a policy that only backup SYS one a week and have excluded SYS from
the other targets.
2. We dont create targets larger than 250 GB, because it takes long time to
backup. 250 Gb takes us about 9 hours to backup. We see that the netware
servers cant push more data. We run 1Gb ethernet from the netware servers to
the backup master and that communication is more then enough.
3. An upgrade of both the netware platform and netbackup would be nice for
you. Netware have improved the TSA function very much since tsa500.
We run TSAFS here and it`s much faster. And you with tsafs you can tune your
backup env..
4. There is a test untility available at netware download called "tsatest".
This is a great utility to test your netware env and se what you can expect
from your backups.
5. We dont run OTM here because of all the problems. The OTM cache file
probably stays because of that you have to manually kill the job.
What happens if you dont run OTM? Still same error?
6. If you set the cache max size to 0 (dynamic) how does it work then? How
large does it get?

It`s a terrible situation to run Netware and also have to back it up.. All
software companies say that "we dont priority netware" because no one uses
it, but we do and we have had so much problem erlier. After the upgrade to
netware 6.x and the latest tsa modules things have been better...

Hope this info helps you in some way!

Best regards,

MVH / Hampus Lind
Rikspolisstyrelsen
National Police Board
Tele arb: +46 (0)8 - 401 99 43
Tele mob: +46 (0)70 - 217 92 66
E-mail: hampus.lind AT rps.police DOT se