Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Convert from Solaris to Windows 2003?

2004-10-22 14:39:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Convert from Solaris to Windows 2003?
From: jennifer.hooper AT peregrine DOT com (Jennifer Hooper)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:39:53 -0700
Happy Friday -

        So we had a big meeting this morning and discussed some of our tape
library options and the like.  The first thing they asked was, well, what
about rolling to Red Hat?  Of course, Remote NDMP is not supported, so that
isn't an option.  So now, they want me to look into the possibility of
'upgrading' from Solaris 7 to a new library and new server running Windows
2003, as it does support NDMP.

        Has anyone had any experience with a conversion such as this?  We
would be looking at consolidating our current infrastructure:  a DLT IV
library (400+ tapes), an LTO1 library (450+tapes) both running on Sun boxes,
running Solaris 7 & 8 respectively.  Our catalog is about 5GB and has been
in existence for about 4 years.  All of this would cut down to a single
Master server running either Solaris 9 or Windows 2003, hooked into our new
EMC Clariion SAN, as well as our NetApp Filer.  They would also like to see
this entire process completed before the end of the year, due to having to
fall into compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley legislation.  It would also
include BMR and Vaulting.

        I have spent some time on Veritas' site trying to see if they have
any notes or documentation on how this might be done, but have come up empty
handed.  I'm also going to discuss these options with the vendors I am
meeting with today and next week.  Any advice or warnings is greatly
appreciated!!

Thanks!

Jennifer

Jennifer Hooper