Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape library Technologies

2004-10-21 11:27:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape library Technologies
From: turk182 AT chipware DOT net (Chip Paswater)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:27:10 -0700
I was at a client that had a Spectra 64k with AIT-2 and AIT-3 drives in it.
They had _nothing_ but problems with that setup (Sun master/media servers
SAN connected to the lib).  Constant IO errors, drives down, hard resets
of the fibre QIPs, NetBackup crashing when they loaded media, etc.

However, I've recently been to client sites that had LTO2 (STK L700e) and
SDLT (STK L80) and they had no problems with the drives or library.  LTO2
seems to be pretty common right now, so if I were deploying a new solution
I'd take a hard look at that technology.  I've had good success with
STK in the past, and with ADIC (Scalar 1000 with LTO1) as well.  Those
would be my suggestions.