Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup 3.4GA: odd messages in "problems" log "expected start message...."

2004-10-13 11:40:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 3.4GA: odd messages in "problems" log "expected start message...."
From: M.W.Ellwood AT rl.ac DOT uk (Ellwood, MW (Mike) )
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:40:07 +0100
Sorry, this is a fairly old version of Netbackup by modern standards
NetBackup 3.4GA:

Anyway,

I am getting the following odd messages from time to time in the
"problems" log (that gets optionally emailed to the admin if turned on)
and also in "bperror".

It doesn't seem associated with any real errors, or even any particular
activity. Usually we are not backing up or restoring at this time.
(we don't have restore on user demand; the only person who initiates
 restores is me, as admin). I have changed the server and client names,
but the rest is "as is":

    TIME            SERVER/CLIENT                      TEXT
10/12/2004 13:41:05 myserver myclient  expected start message
                    from myclient; read: Unrecognized -J
                    string client=myclient
10/12/2004 13:41:05 myserver myclient  expected start message
                    from myclient; read: Unrecognized -J
                    string requesting_client=myotherclient
10/12/2004 13:41:05 myserver myclient  expected start message
                    from myclient; read: Unrecognized -J
                    string browse_client=myclient

We have schedules defined (since you have to), but they are effectively
null (zero times). All activity is either by cron or submitted manually. So
it should
not be from any scheduled activity.

Does anyone have any clues what these mean?

They are not causing any problems, but it's not nice to have unexplained
mysteries around, and it gets managers twitchy if they happen to see
these and I can't explain them!

Thanks,

Mike E.