Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Problems with Admin Consoles

2004-10-08 12:24:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Problems with Admin Consoles
From: jennifer.hooper AT peregrine DOT com (Jennifer Hooper)
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:24:34 -0700
Hi there!

        We are having a couple of problems with both versions of the Admin
Consoles.  The first one is the full console running on a Windows XP SP1.
The problem is that I can't access my media server, even though the
workstation name is permitted.  I get the error:  Unable to determine global
device database host for device host mediaserver.peregrine.com:  not
authorized to connect to vmd(126).  Everything appears to be running with I
do a bpps -a from the media server, though.

        In addition, on a couple of different PC's now, all running Windows
XP SP1, the Java Console will not run.  If I go to the Java Console for
either the master or media servers, the command prompt comes up and the app
looks like it's going to start, but it never does.  Never get a log in
prompt or anything.  In the event log, I get an Application Hang error:
Hanging application NBConsole.EXE, version 5.0.0.352, hang module hungapp,
version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

        Here's our environment:  Veritas Netbackup 5.0 (no patches) on
Master server - Solaris 7, ATL DLT Library.   Media server - Solaris 8,
Storagetek e700 library.  Consoles - IBM PC's running Windows XP SP1.

        I have reinstalled the full clients 4 times on the console PC's, and
that hasn't made a difference, even installing them independantly:
Installing the Fat console and not the java and vice versa.  Has anyone seen
anything like this and know what I might be able to do to fix it?

Thanks much!

Jennifer

Sr. Network Engineer
Peregrine Systems, Inc.