Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape drive errors, NBU 4.5

2004-10-07 14:54:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape drive errors, NBU 4.5
From: juhapuumalainen AT hotmail DOT com (Juha Puumalainen)
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:54:14 +0200
Hope this is right place to post this message.

Since upgrading from NBU 3.1 to 4.5 on Solaris 8, we're seeing quite amount
of errors on our
Storatek L700 tape robot IBM drives. The firmware level on drives: Revision
36U3.

We're using LTO Ultrium 1 tapes.

During backup window we see quite amount of errors in bptm logs, like:

DOWN'ing drive index 5, it has had at least 3 errors in last 12 hour(s)

and

cannot write image to media id EAD771, drive index 5, I/O error

If I run: netstat -k | /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -e ^st2 -e ^st3 -e IBM -e ULTRIUM,
I see:

st285,err:
Soft Errors 1 Hard Errors 8 Transport Errors 1 Vendor IBM
Product ULTRIUM-TD1     Revision Revision 36U3 Serial No
st315,err:
Soft Errors 0 Hard Errors 15 Transport Errors 3 Vendor IBM
Product ULTRIUM-TD1     Revision Revision 36U3 Serial No

Can anyone tell whether they have experienced something similar?

Is this HBA, switch, tape or tape drive related?

Also, is there a way to map the st*** entry in netstat -k output
to physical drive number or drive index as shown in vmoprcmd -d or
tpconfig -l command outputs..

Thanks a lot in advance!

MSN Search, for accurate results! http://search.msn.nl