Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Running Netbackup on RedHat Linux

2004-10-04 12:28:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Running Netbackup on RedHat Linux
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:28:41 -0600
I've got it running on RH-ES3.0 as a media server with the exceptions of the
DB extensions (32 or 64 bit).

We've got an opteron architecture and all the binaries were compiled for
Itanium.

Something in this combination seems to prevent Oracle from correctly linking
the libobk.so library for media management.  Seems to be an Oracle issue.
The rest works.

I've got another problem in that the SCSI reserve on any drive prevents the
drive from being correctly built into the /dev/st and /dev/sg directories.
My work-around is to build all the drives during a slack period, when no
drives are assigned, then I've commented out the rebuild-at-daemon-start of
the start script.  This is the /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/make_scsi_dev tool
that's new to Linux.  This problem may be a driver issue for us, the "scan"
command returns that these are SCSI-2 devices (that don't, therefore,
support SCSI reservation - a SCSI-3 thing).

-M